CBD oil has taken the natural health space by storm with an ever-growing list of wellness benefits. And it can be applied topically to absorb through the skin, in hopes of helping to alleviate localised pain and swelling, increase relaxation and even improve the appearance of your skin. There is next to no THC in quality CBD products, so you don’t need to worry about legality, getting high or failing a drugs test.
What CBD creams are there?
CBD is believed to help people who suffer from anxiety, pain and sleep issues. There are many athletes who apply topical CBD creams to help with joint and muscle pains. CBD topicals are applied to the surface of the skin and are then absorbed into the body through the pores. CBD topicals typically come in three consistencies:
1. Lotions/creams: these are quite similar with regards to ingredients and texture, though creams are often a little thicker than lotions. Creams and lotions often combine CBD with things like aloe vera, shea butter and other nutrients that help moisturise and promote a healthy skin barrier.
2. Balms/salves: with these products, less is more, and there is little difference between products that use either term in their name. They are usually formulated with essential oils and beeswax, with no water included.
3. Oils: these will have the smoothest feeling, and typically incorporate other ingredients like coconut or olive oil. You can also expect the presence of other essential oils, minerals and vitamins. They take a little longer to absorb as they are thick and slippery, but they are ideal for massages.
CBD topicals are easy to use, but you should always ensure you opt for a product that works for you. For instance, a thicker salve might be ideal to target a troublesome region, while a lotion may be better for an all-around relaxing sensation.
The benefits of CBD
CBD doesn’t get into the bloodstream when you use topicals, but there are different potential benefits. The skin has endocannabinoid receptors, and CBD infused products may help activate them. The following benefits have been associated with CBD topicals:
1. Anti-inflammatory properties to fight pain and swelling.
2. Help with skin conditions like acne, psoriasis and eczema.
3. Moisturising without clogging the pores.
If you want to try CBD topicals for yourself, speak to your GP first to ensure there won’t be any negative interactions with other medications you take. Always choose a reputable supplier for CBD products, as unscrupulous sellers may supply products that don’t meet the strict legal requirements. You don’t want to be unknowingly purchasing an illegal product.